Tuesday, February 1, 2011

This here's a story 'bout a bed named Bed...

Our new, handmade in the USA (by Roland's dad), bed is here!

After spending countless hours designing, building & staining the bed from raw oak boards, R's dad brought over the pieces yesterday afternoon (over 100 pieces in all!), and he and Roland got to work on assembling it. After 1.5 hours, most of the frame and bolts were together:







Another half hour, and assembly was complete. We discovered that with the platform height of the bed, we no longer needed a box spring. This is how our bed looks all made-up:






Just for fun, we decided to try the bed with our old box spring to see how high it would really be. The answer: really high.


I kind of liked the extra altitude, but I admit it wasn't too practical. Maybe if I was 8-years-old I'd be more insistent on this "princess elevation." Plus, R kept hitting his head on the ceiling fan, so it was a no-go.









 All together, this solid oak bed weighs 220 pounds and is held together with about 90 bolts. It carries a 400-year warranty, and will surely be in our family for generations to come.
The End.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That is one gorgeous bed - truly a family heirloom!

    Aunt A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's amazing.

    (Also, as I was casually scrolling down this post, I did a trufax double-take when I suddenly thought I saw myself perched on that bed! I've never thought we look particularly alike, but with the double thumbs-up in play....)

    ReplyDelete